Recent Posts

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Best Bruschetta Ever



Hi kittens! Quick post here about the best bruschetta I've ever made. Start with some lovely cherry tomatoes - I bought some beautiful heirloom cherry tomatoes at TJs. Give them a quick rinse with some cool water and set aside to dry (I used half of the container, I think it came out to a pint). Thinly slice a baguette on an angle, drizzle with olive oil, and toast in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. You want them lightly golden brown, but not too crunchy. Once you remove the toasts, rub a piece of raw garlic all over them (don't burn yourself!).

Slice the cherry tomatoes in half or thirds, depending on how big they are. Place the tomatoes in a bowl and add a few good pinches of salt (probably half a teaspoon), a pinch of red pepper flake, a drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar (a teaspoon or so), some finely chopped garlic (one clove), and some olive oil (a one count if you have a pourer on your bottle). Carefully mix, and let sit for five minutes or so for all of the flavors to meld together and the tomatoes to break down slightly. Taste for seasonings and add some more vinegar or salt if it needs. Chop around six leaves of fresh basil and add to the tomatoes.

Now it's time for the most delicious part - the burata cheese! I also got it at TJs and it is one of my favorite cheeses. It comes in water, a ball of creamy deliciousness like mozzarella but with a creamy center. I used one ball of burrata, broke it apart with my hands and added some cheese to each piece of garlicky toast (making sure to taste plenty of that delectable cheese - I can't resist!).  Top each toast with the tomato and basil mixture and be sure to drizzle any leftover vinegar and oil on top of everything.

Time to pig out! This is a fantastic way to start your meal, so fresh with those special tomatoes. What are you waiting for, go make some!

xo,
d

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your photo! I'm going to try to make this for my in-laws this summer! :)

Post a Comment