Recent Posts

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Weeknight Dinner - Panko Crusted Pork Chops with Cider-Mustard Sauce

I really am going to try to post more, people. I promise. I even started a twitter account, so follow me for quick food insights and lots and lots of kitty pictures! Hit me up: @osterblum

Now for a quick treat, a weeknight meal that is simple but super delish - and uses a protein I am quite wary of: pork chops! If you're a regular reader here at SND you'll know that I rarely cook with pork tenderloins/chops (now bacon - that's another story). I just feel like pork chops are always overcooked and boring. Well I take it back! They're a great idea for a weeknight dinner because they cook quickly and if done right (and simply) they can be outstanding. Here's whatcha do:

Start with four bone in pork chops (Trader Joes or Whole Foods). Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and preheat your favorite large skillet over medium high heat. Coat the pork chops in S/P seasoned flour (1/2 cup or so), then egg (2 whisked on a plate), then panko bread crumbs (a japanese bread crumb with a great texture - you'll need probably 2 cups). I like to set up the dredging station right next to the stove for minimal spillage. Be sure to really press the panko crumbs in after you've floured/egged. Pour a six count of olive oil in your heated pan, let it heat for a moment or two, then cook the chops for a few minutes per side to get the coating nice and crispy. Once each side has a nice brown crust, remove the chop from the pan, and place into the oven on a sheet pan with a rack. The chops will be rare at this point, but if you cook them in the oven after browning whilst you prepare the rest of your meal, they should come out perfectly juicy and medium (it's about 15 minutes).

Pour the oil from your frying pan, and over medium to medium high heat add some hard apple cider (I used half of one of those tall bottles, I think it's a 20 ounce bottle? I'm awesome with details, I know). Reduce the cider for a few minutes, then add 3 tablespoons of whole grain mustard and whisk in. Once the mustard is combined add some S/P to taste as well as 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (or more, if you want it spicier). I added the cayenne because the cider was super sweet and I didn't want the dish to be cloying. In a small bowl whisk together 1/2 cup of chicken stock with 2 tablespoons of flour, then whisk that into your sauce to tighten it up a bit. Once it's thickened, taste for seasoning and then add about 1/4 cup of half and half. Turn the heat down to low and bubble for a few minutes more.

And you're donesies! Serve the chops with the sauce on the side and over some gnocchi (pre-made and purchased from Trader Joes) and asparagus with garlic. I made the gnocchi (which cooks very quickly) and asparagus as the sauce was coming together, so your timing should be just right if you start the sauce and sides after the chops go into the oven. The asparagus is super easy, just chop 1-2 cloves of garlic, fry them over medium heat in a little olive oil for thirty seconds, then add your asparagus (be sure to trim the bottom third from the asparagus stalks). Add some S/P and a few glugs of white wine - they'll take about five minutes to get tender but still have plenty of bite (longer for super thick asparagus, I like using the really thin stalks). A nice spritz of some fresh lemon at the end of cooking brightens the asparagus up nicely.

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Give this one a try and let me know.

xo,
d

0 comments:

Post a Comment