Recent Posts

Monday, June 7, 2010

(Pretty) Easy Lemon Chicken

Oh hai everyone! Listen I don't want to hear it. It's been a while but c'mon. Planning a wedding is a LOT of work! Now I'm a married old lady, and Sunday Night Dinners are back bitches.

Okay, so Lemon Chicken. This is an Emeril Lagasse recipe that I've jacked just a little bit. His recipe calls for just white meat but I'm a big fan of dark meat too, so I've added that and made it a bit saucier.

First thing: full disclosure. I hate making rice with the fire of 1000 suns. Hate it. Maybe because I'm super bad at it. I always mess it up. So I have Adam make it. Since you guys don't have Adam, you should make it in a rice maker. Or just be better than me at making it. But make it first, mmkay? Just keep it warm without overcooking. Good luck with that.

All right, so then you should make the lemon sauce, it'll save you time later. Mix 1/2 cup of lemon juice with 4 tablespoons (plus a pinch more cause I like it) of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 2/3 cup chicken stock, and the zest of one lemon. Wisk it up and set aside for the right moment.

Finely chop up four teaspoons each of fresh garlic and fresh garlic, as well as 1/2 cup of green onions. Set aside FOR LATER. Trust me.

Okie now, take one package of chicken breast tenders and one package of chicken thighs. The tenders are the right shape and size that you need, so slice the thighs into thinnish strips to match the tenders. Next, put 1/2 cup of cornstarch in a shallow dish, and beat two eggs into another. Dip each strip of breast and thighs into the cornstarch, egg, then cornstarch again. Your hands will get all gooey but get over it. It washes off. Set those aside to set up for about five minutes after you're done.

Ooh! One more thing to do as prep! Mix three teaspoons of cornstarch with one tablespoon of water. Wisky wisk that and then set aside. It's totally worth it later to do the prep work first. And clean as you go, right Mom?

Take a large frying pan or wok and heat up 1/4 to 1/3 cup or so of canola or peanut oil until almost smoking over medium high heat. Fry the chicken strips for three minutes on each side. They should get browned but not super dark. Set aside to blot on paper towels. Pour out most of the oil, and put the pan back over medium heat. Toss in the green onions and fry for one minute. Add the garlic and ginger and fry with the onions for thirty additional seconds. Next you're going to add that delectable lemon sauce mix. Give it another wisk then put it in the sauce pan with the ginger, garlic and green onions. Bring the sauce to a boil and then add your cornstarch/water mix and wisk in. The sauce should thicken immediately. Add the chicken back to the pot, cover all the chicken with the sauce well, and turn the heat down to low.

Serve this deliciousness with some veggies if you'd like. I like to buy a fresh "stir fry" ** packet at the market - it's carrots, snow peas, and broccoli all cut up and cleaned neat and proper like. I just heat up a bit more canola or peanut oil in a separate pan with some red pepper flake and more chopped ginger, garlic and green onion. Sautee those veggies for a bit to soften but make sure they still have some crunch. ** Be sure to buy the fresh vegs, not frozen. I purchased the frozen packet once it was an epic fail.

Serve your fantastic meal with over your properly made rice, and enjoy!

It's good to be back! Let's continue this super ride, and hit me back and let me know if you made this or any of my other dinners. I'll take Sunday Night Suggestions, too!

Kisses!

-Mrs. B.

1 comments:

kelsy's mom said...

Welcome back, daughter! Like the sounds of this recipe, and thanks for the nod to cleaning up as you go, but truth be known--as you have Adam to make perfect rice, I have John to clean up as I go! I mess up the kitchen, he cleans it up and then gets to eat! Fair, isn't it? :)

Post a Comment